The wellness industry will be valued at nearly $7 trillion globally by 2025, according to projections by The Global Wellness Institute (GWI). If your product or service targets this lucrative Healthy Chooser® market, leveraging the value of earned media coverage is a smart decision. The best publicity strategies are those that fuel interest by appealing directly to buyers’ motivations.
What is the Healthy Chooser market?
Healthy Chooser is a term we created to describe individuals who are passionate about sustaining a positive sense of wellbeing through healthy living. This phrase truly reflects our agency. We’re proud that a large percentage of the products and services we represent are intended to improve quality of life. We’re very comfortable marketing within this space because we know it so well.
What are Healthy Choosers buying?
Plant-based and clean labels (“free of”) are just two criteria Healthy Choosers use frequently when making buying decisions. For these wellness seekers, health and wellness is an all-encompassing lifestyle. Media Relations Agency specializes in this market, and we’d love to help you succeed in this space.
GWI reports the most significant product categories are:
- Personal Care & Beauty ($955 billion)
- Healthy eating, nutrition and weight loss ($946 billion)
- Physical activity ($738 billion)
- Wellness Tourism ($436 billion)
- Traditional & Complementary Medicine ($413 billion)
- Public Health, Prevention, & Personalized Medicine ($375 billion)
- Wellness Real Estate ($275 billion)
- Mental Wellness ($131 billion)
- Spas ($68 billion)
- Workplace Wellness ($49 billion)
Where there is so much opportunity, there is also tremendous competition. You need to create awareness of, and demand for, your product or service. Publicity can help differentiate your business from your competition.
Who is your Healthy Chooser market?
We place a lot of emphasis on knowing who is most likely to buy, and why. That’s essential for a successful publicity outreach because it enables you to speak directly to this audience. Some factors that are often not emphasized enough in marketing campaigns:
- Approximately 75% of large employers and 33% of small companies run wellness programs. Source: WellnessCreatives.com. Consider targeting businesses as well as individuals.
- In addition to health, fitness and nutrition, consumers define wellness in terms of better appearance, sleep and mindfulness. Source: McKinsey & Company. Be sure you’re positioning your product for the greatest impact.
- Most of the wellness industry’s spending comes from beauty and personal care, the clean eating trend, wearable fitness devices and wellness tourism. Source: PolicyAdvice.com. If you hadn’t considered specifically targeting Healthy Choosers, it’s time to do so.
- Only 56% of respondents to a Policy Advice survey believe their health is excellent or very good. It is very likely that the rest of the responders are more than willing to invest and spend more on improving their wellness. Source: PolicyAdvice.com
Healthy Choosers buy on emotion and justify their purchases with facts
While this trait isn’t unique to Healthy Choosers, it is essential when considering how you approach your media outreach.
Remember: Publicity is the foundation of any good marketing campaign. It can be repurposed in your digital marketing to increase the story’s reach; reinforce the messaging and supercharge your search rankings. Earned publicity also verifies to consumers that your product or service is legitimate and worth checking out. The best publicity strategies include:
- Define your audience. As noted above, the Healthy Chooser market is huge. While they may share a common interest in wellness, it is important to nail down which subset(s) will be most interested in your product and motivated to buy.
- Be versatile with your media outreach. Embrace every media opportunity. With a market this giant, chances are good you will reach people within your target audience. Plus, while the competition will be fierce to earn media exposure in channels that target your sweet spot (such as “Real Simple” magazine), broader media outlets will often yield greater contributions to your online discoverability.
- Commit to education. Empower buyers with what they need to feel like they’re making smart, informed decisions. Trust is a huge factor in this market. Publicity is ideal for this strategy because when the media chooses to feature your product, instead of your competition’s, it implies higher value.
- Be relatable. Choose a publicity angle that easily resonates with your primary audience. Use a trusted spokesperson. Create an emotional appeal.
Are you excited about launching a publicity campaign targeting the Healthy Chooser market? We’re always happy to introduce a new product or service to these highly motivated buyers. Let’s get started! Call us at 952-697-5269 or use this form to start claiming your share of this lucrative market.